Fabric scraps = beautiful jewellery



Like a lot of people who work with fabric I have a lot of bits left over. And being the woman that I am I obviously don't throw them away. Some find their way onto my ever growing 'crazy patchwork' bag - other stay sitting in a bag waiting to be turned into something.


Recently when I couldn't sleep one morning I found a tutorial on making fabric beads - and started playing. I'm not very good at following tutorials and started kind of making up my own fabric bead design. The final result was this:



old dressing gown becomes upcycled necklace

Old dressing gown becomes upcycled necklace

I'm not entirely satisfied with it - I think it might need a lot more work - however I have a lot of other beads that I've made some I'm going to try some different designs. I also think that I should add some more beads to the top right hand side (where I've already started adding beads) as a focus.


In the meantime, here are some wonderfully exciting upcycled/ repurposed/ recycled fabric jewellery pieces that really inspire me to be more creative.



Fabric bracelet by Little Miss Crafty

Fabric bracelet by Little Miss Crafty


This little bracelet seems so simple yet so cute and fluffy. I love the colours (although they're not the type I'd wear) and it just is SO yummy. Makes me want to go out and make my own cute little fluffy bracelet.


Read more of Little Miss Crafty's adventures here:


http://www.littlemisscrafty.blogspot.com/


Hand Made jewellery by Medusa - http://www.labottegadimedusa.com/Hand Made jewellery by Medusa - http://www.labottegadimedusa.com/

I'm in love with this wonderful piece. It has its roots in vintage style and is a real focus piece.

Absinthe and Orange
Absinthe and Orange

Absinthe and Orange creates such beauty out of repurposed material and clothing. Again, like a lot of things I love, the colours aren't something I ever really wear, however to own a piece like this and have an excuse to build an outfit around them would be something too good to miss! With fabric jewellery like this you KNOW that everyone will keep looking at it and noticing new things that make up this beautiful design.


Sonya's Boutique
Sonya's Boutique

Sonya's fabric necklaces are real focus pieces that combine strong colour palettes and inspired designs. Check out her etsy store - I cannot believe how cheaply she sells her work! Honestly - it's worth more than this! Once I can get properly onto Etsy (it's playing up for me at the moment) I'm going to purchase one of her pieces before prices sky rocket!


Finally I'm in love with the unusual work of Beehive Girl

http://beehivegirl.blogspot.com
http://beehivegirl.blogspot.com/

I love her combinations of bones and lace - and I love the way in which her pieces aren't just 'focus' pieces - they make you sit up and stare! You can't stop looking and if you're me - you can't stop wanting!


Really - how can you NOT be inspired by these wonderful women's designs?


Here are some tutorials - often showing you the steps for building up your designs:


How to make a necklace from fabric scraps


What to do with all those scraps


Ruffle necklace


Fabric Flower Necklace


These are just very basic instructions - I figure you can adapt each tutorial to add more and more to make a wonderful statement piece.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails